Tuesday 15 February 2011

Better than Heinz Baked Beans

While in London, I picked up a fun little cookbook called Sam Stern's Student Cookbook. I wanted something that would be almost a document of all the popular things that people eat here, and that would have recipes of the things I have tried and would want to re-create. This book has everything! From all the popular take-away (pork buns, asian noodle dishes, cornish pasties) to proper home cooked British meals (roasts, pea soup, fish pie) and everything in between. All the student staples.

For my first dish, I decided to try the homemade baked beans and polenta. Absolutely delicious recipe! Although the polenta part called for what seemed like an oddly large amount, but I'd never made it before, so thought I'd stick to the recipe. It said it only made enough for two, so I thought, what the hell. Well, let's say that I ended up eating polenta for the next week straight. It was great...but I don't think I'll make that much next time.


The beans were cannellini and haricot, and you mix them with onions, garlic, tomatoes, veg stock, soy sauce, mustard, worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Highly recommended book.

No comments:

Post a Comment