Friday 14 January 2011

Muffins for You and Muffins for Me

My mom used to make raisin bran muffins when I was a kid. I would remember waiting for them to come out of the oven, so you could split them open, steam escaping, and put a sliver of butter on both sides. They were so toasty, the butter would melt immediately, but they were too quickly consumed for me to really notice. 

The last week or so, I have been really craving bran muffins, so I went out to H&B and picked up some natural bran, and decided to make some this morning. Here is the recipe I used, I cut it in half and just used a smaller egg. I also omitted the raisins (because my flat mate hates them....weirdo, I know) and put in 1/4 cup of frozen raspberries and 1/4 cup toasted almond slivers instead. I also added about 6 tsp of flaxseed. 

They came out quite good, a very nice texture, but they are not a very sweet muffin, as there is no sugar. 

Bran Muffins

Ingredients:
1 cup wheat bran
1 - 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup molasses or honey
2 tablespoons oil
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup walnuts chopped
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Stir together the bran, flour, soda and baking powder. Stir in raisins and set aside.
Blend milk, molasses, oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
Spoon into 12 greased muffin tins. Bake for 15 minutes or until muffins pull away from sides of cups.
Makes 12 marvelous muffins! 


Half the recipe made 6 fairly good sized muffins.


Served it up with slivers of butter (of course) and a fruit salad with yoghurt. 

1 comment:

  1. Honey replaces the sugar (and molasses a bit, too) :)

    ReplyDelete