Tuesday 4 January 2011

Sweet Potato Biscuits to the Rescue!

With the promise of having the kitchen all to myself until my flat mates return this weekend, the choice of what to make for dinner can be a bit daunting. There are several recipes I've been itching to try and the one I finally chose did not disappoint. 

I've made biscuits before but never sweet potato biscuits, let alone used wholemeal flour in my biscuits, so this was a bit of an experiment. It was a very simple recipe as I wanted one without sugar so I found a quick and easy vegan sweet potato biscuit recipe on about.com...

- 1 cup sweet potato, precooked and mashed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mash it all together, form into 6-7 biscuits and cook in an oven preheated to 375 F for 15-20 minutes, or until done. 


Now I opted to use half wholemeal flour and half white, but next time I think I'll go 100% wholemeal. I was worried about them being too dense but after 15 minutes in the oven, these puppies were nice and doughy in the centre and ready to be served!


They have very little sweet potato flavor so even if you're not a fan of my orange little friends, I'd still recommend giving these a try. All the potato does is keep them soft (and turn them a lovely light pumpkin color.) They do also taste a bit flour-y but I happen to like my biscuits that way so it worked out well for me!


Served em up with a little leftover butternut squash soup from the freezer (with a dollop of yoghurt or sour cream, of course) and sauteed spinach with pine nuts and raisins. To be honest I probably could have just ate the biscuits (but everything else was good too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment