Thursday 6 January 2011

What the Parsnip Said to the Butternut Squash

There was a recipe I'd found on the Riverford Organic website (remember the veggie box I got at the beginning of the year?) that I'd be hoping to try but I never seemed to have double cream on hand. Finally I went out and bought some, with the sole purpose of using it for this recipe.

Its a parsnip and butternut squash bake, and despite the name, which makes it sound rather healthy, its actually very similar to scalloped potatoes. Definitely not something to serve every week but a very rich dish that I would probably make again (but maybe I'd switch to single cream...)


Everything you need. I used half milk, half double cream and still found it ridiculously rich. Just depends how you like it, really, and you only need half the squash.


Slice em up thinly and layer them in a greased pan.


Milk/double cream/thyme/onions slowly coming to a boil.


Once the cream is ready, pour it over your layered veggies and top with cheese. I used my mature cheddar from the Wensleydale creamery. 


After about an hour or so, I used the grill to crisp up the top nicely, because everyone knows the best part of scalloped potatoes is the crispy cheese top, so I figured this wouldn't be very different. 


Serve with a leftover sweet potato biscuit, and a side of Teamwork & Development homework, and you've got yourself a party in the making. 

1 comment: